Thursday, September 27, 2012

Double Duty, Easy Fall Decor

Like I said the other day, if it weren’t for those three cuties living here, I would probably stick with general fall décor.  I can be lazy.  I mean I like to keep things low maintenance if I can.  Plus, I just want less stuff. But I cannot deprive those kids of some spooky, creepy Halloween fun in exchange for my lazy pragmatic ways.

There are a few things I do to keep things simple.

DECORATE ONLY HIGH TRAFFIC AREAS

USE PUMPKINS INSTEAD OF FLOWERS (NO WATERING NECESSARY)

I love mums in the fall.  But I finally realized, I’m so over watering flowers by the end of summer, I don’t want to do it in the fall.  So instead of a beautiful pot of mums, I go for pots of pumpkins.  Oh, and I thought about a pumpkin totem pole, but realized it was much easier to throw one large pumpkin in a pot and call it good.  Although I think it looks great on its own, I do dress it up a bit.

SIMPLIFY – USE DOUBLE DUTY ITEMS TO SAVE TIME, MONEY & STORAGE

One Pumpkin – Two Looks

IMG_3963IMG_4007IMG_4006

I use this pumpkin the entire fall season just by changing out the leaf garland.  And the garland doesn’t take up much space in storage – bonus.

The same concept works with my window boxes.  Use gourds and mini pumpkins as a base and change out black leaves for Halloween to the warm hues of fall for Thanksgiving.  And again with my mantel.  Dismantle the mantel of creepiness and infuse the warmth of fall.

MAKE IT WORK FOR REAL LIFE.

Throw some pumpkins, bones and spiders in a basket for the kitchen table centerpiece.  Easy to put together, easy to get out of the way and doesn’t really get in the way.

IMG_3953

After Halloween, exchange the spiders and bones for pretty leaves and berries. Or make it functional and put fruit in it surrounded by leaves and baby pumpkins. You can use this one basket the entire year and just change the contents. Double duty at its best.

   IMG_4010

 

USE FUNCTIONAL DÉCOR - STRAWS, NAPKINS, CANDY

Functional decorations are not only useful, but super easy and cute.  Really can’t dispute the cute of a jar full of colorful straws or even jars of candy in the colors of the season.

IMG_3966

Throw a pumpkin in the mix, even better.

IMG_3990

MAKE IT WORK WITH WHAT YOU’VE GOT

Instead of buying a pillow for each holiday, use different pillow covers on the same pillow insert.  Last year I cut the neck and arms off an orange t-shirt and ironed on "Happy Halloween” to recover an outdoor pillow on my porch.  Yes, I know this pillow is pretty pathetic, but you get the idea.  Try to use what you have and adjust it to somehow work.

IMG_4013

Or easier yet, just throw a spider on the pillow as is.  I think a spider anywhere adds the creep factor nicely.  Add a little gauzy stuff and oooh yeah!

IMG_4014

So, don’t stress.  Make it easy.  It can be as simple as throwing a spider here and there.  Boom, immediate creep factor.  Have fun!

 

As usual, linking up here and at Thrifty Decor Chick.

Fall_Link_Party_Sarah_thumb5

4 comments:

  1. Saw you over at TDC! I am so like you. I mean I just don't have the time to set up an ENTIRE gorgeous fall Halloween table with a million tiny details (and just for a photo - no ones having a Halloween dinner mid September!) I'm for simple, but fun, decor in high traffic places etc....I have to be who I am on my blog, so what my readers get is nothing lavish but a lot of fun SMALL ideas!!! Great post- I will be adding pumpkins to my pots :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your decor! The glitter and colors are so cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How clever is that?! Great ideas! I have often thought it would be so much easier this way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. if you like it then you shoulda threw a spider web on it, lol, that's the first thing that popped into my head when i read that. good tips!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by for a slice of Plumberry Pie today! Your comments make my day, so comment away!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...